Historic Home

The Classical Revival house is located on South Main Street,
on the same block as the Buda Post Office.

Built about 1910 by W.R. and Nora
Ferguson Porter, the house remained
in the same family for over 80 years.

The lot on which the house is built was first
purchased by C.C. Huddleston soon after
the town of DuPree (Buda) was founded.
Ownership of the property passed from
Huddleston to George C. Patterson, who
later sold it to Stella Cox. It was from Cox
that the Porters bought the property
that was to be their home for the rest
of their lives.

The Porters built the house. They had
no children and as their health declined, it was the Gordons who took care of them. Ena Gordon was the daughter of Sallie Ferguson Porter, the builder of the home on Main Street. Willie Porter died in 1944 and the Gordons continued to care for Nora until her death in 1958.

The house was deeded to Ena Gordon at the death of her aunt. The Gordons spent the rest of their years in this house on Main Street.

In 1955 Joe Rogers, a life-long resident of the Driftwood area west of Buda, bought the house from the Gordon estate. At that time it was the site of the Buda Thrift Shop.

The Burns, Ferguson, and Porter families who are associated with the house were all very early settlers of the Buda area. They all lived and farmed on the south and east side of Buda on land that is often called "the prairie" and played an active role in the building of the Buda community. The history of these families associated with this home is in the Buda and Science Hall communities.

Carol Evans, DDS, purchased the house in 2000 for the office of Main St. Dental. She is committed to maintaining its historic integrity. Even though the house has undergone restoration and redecoration, its original design remains. It offers a unique comfort for Dr. Evans' patients.

Dentistry for Adults and Children  •  Cosmetic Dentistry  •  State-of-the-Art Technology  •  Insurance and Financing  •  Mobile Website